Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Kids’ sunscreen row


St Joseph’s school has been under fire from Helen Reed because of the application of sunlotion. The parents were asked to apply the sunlotion before sending their children to school. While the students are at school, however the sunlotion is not reapplied resulting into Mrs. Reed’s son ending up with sunburn during a trip because he is too young to apply the lotion himself.
Headteacher Maureen Fletcher said that the staff can not apply the sunlotion because it could compromise the safety of the children.

---

Personally I find this whole situation a little bit silly. I can't imagine it being that difficult for children to apply sunlotion themselves (I mean really, what are they going to do, eat it?). On the other hand, the school may claim that applying the sunlotion could compromise the safety of the children, but allowing kids to be in the sun, unprotected to the point they get a sunburn is also compromising their safety; it's terrible for their health. Applying the sunlotion before the kids go to school isn't enough after all - it'll wear off after a couple of hours so what the school is doing right now is pointless.

Source

1 comment:

  1. I find this story rather senseless. I agree with your opinion, if the child is going to be out in the sun for so long that he actually gets sunburnt, is partly the schools' responsibility. I like that you put in a funny comment about the kid not being able to put lotion on his body. humour is always appreciated :P

    ReplyDelete