Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Swindon toddler mauled by dog in garden


Keiron Guess, a two year old boy, is in hospital after he got attacked by a dog in Swanage Walk on Sunday evening.  He was found by his grandfather in the neighbour’s garden, then taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxbord and later transferred to the Frenchray Hospital in Bristol. He is now kept in an induced coma, while undergoing surgery to reattach part of his ear. His condition is stable but there remains concern about his eyesight.  A 49-years old man was also hurt in the attack and has been treated for an arm injury.

The owners of the dog (thought to be a Staffordshire Bullterrier) have been very forthcoming and have handed the dog over to be destroyed. There was already an incident on the property last year, when an officer got bitten.  However, the animal  was not found to be of a dangerous  dog breed and no further action was taken.


---

Whenever I read headlines like this I cringe a little bit. I'm a big fan of rottweilers which are considered to be one of the dangerous breeds in England but so far have not made it onto the 'forbidden' list yet. Kids getting attacked by dogs will always put the breed of the dog in question while quite often it's the fault of the owner who raised the dog or, in some cases, the dog just attacked for an unknown reason.

In this case I wondered what the boy was doing in the neighbours' garden without his grandfather. I do think the dog is to blame in this case, but even so, I still wonder what the kid did to provoke the dog. Either way, I'm glad they're not blaming the bad behaviour of the dog on the breed but see it as a single case scenario.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment