The 80 limetrees which were planted on Bawtry Road in
Tickhill to celebrate Queen Victoria’s 1897 Diamond Jubilee are to be felled
over the next 4 years, an operation which will cost £20,000. According to the Doncaster council the
trees show signs of ageing and would form a danger to the area.
Campaigners have launched an online petition, hoping to
convince the council not to remove all of the trees Tickhill Town council
reported that they would plant oak trees instead.
---
Cutting such an old trees while not even all of them are diseases is something that I strongly disapprove of. These trees are more than 100 years old and are part of the history of this street. I could understand it if the council wanted to only remove the diseased trees but this just sounds like they wished to get rid of the trees because they were too expensive to maintain and were looking for an excuse to do so.
I sincerely hope the campaigners are able to save some trees!
No comments:
Post a Comment